This quest would focus on the 26 areas that were formerly part of the National Park System but were later dissolved or transferred to another federal, state, or local entity. This quest does not include proposed units that never came to be, units that were eventually absorbed into other national park units, or units that were later renamed.
I’ve currently visited 9 of the 26 former units. Bold items are places I haven’t yet visited.
- Atlanta Campaign NHS (GA)
- Castle Pinckney NM (SC)
- Chattanooga National Cemetery (TN)
- Father Millet Cross NM (NY)
- Flaming Gorge NRA (UT/WY)
- Fossil Cyclad NM (SD)
- Holy Cross NM (CO)
- Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (DC)
- Lake Texoma Recreation Area (OK/TX)
- Lewis and Clark Cavern NM (MT)
- Mackinac Island NP (MI)
- Mar-A-Lago NHS 🤮 (FL)
- Millerton Lake Recreation Area (CA)
- National Visitors Center (DC)
- New Echota Marker NMEM (GA)
- Oklahoma City NMEM (OK)
- Old Kasaan NM (AK)
- Papago Saguaro NM (AZ)
- Patrick Henry NM (VA)
- Saint Thomas NHS (USVI)
- Shadow Mountain NRA (CO)
- Shasta Lake Recreation Area (CA)
- Shoshone Cavern NM (WY)
- Sullys Hill NP (ND)
- Verendrye NM (ND)
- Wheeler NM (CO)
NOTE: I haven’t committed to adopting this quest just yet, but it’s one I’ve been considering for some time. I’ve posted it here in order to point others to it, and to keep track of possible quest objectives when I’m putting together other trips.
Updated on March 19, 2019.